- This event has passed.
Understanding Domestic Adoption: From Matched to Possible Placement – LIVE WEBINAR
January 30 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
The time leading up to the birth of a child and the days following the birth are frequently among the most challenging periods for everyone in the adoption process. Some adoptive parents manage to breeze through this period while others are presented with challenges. This presentation focuses on the variables that affect the different experiences that people have. This presentation is valuable for anyone hoping to adopt a child domestically, whether or not they are adopting for the first time. We will review the information about birth parent rights, how potential birth parents may feel after birth, and the “do’s and don’ts” for prospective adoptive parents. Participants will leave the presentation with increased clarity about their role in the process during this critical time and have a better sense of what is and is not possible. NOTE: This class will focus only on Illinois laws.
Some topics of discussion will include:
- What happens when it is discovered that a child has been exposed to drugs or alcohol?
- What happens when a birth mother decides to have her child stay in her room after birth?
- What do and don’t most hospitals allow?
- What happens between the time when a child is born and the time a birth mother can sign final and irrevocable surrenders for adoption?
- What can adoptive parents do or say to help a situation or hinder it?
- What are the risks to potential adoptive parents of providing temporary care?
- How long after giving birth does it take for a birth mother to sign surrenders?
- What happens if a birth father does not cooperate and chooses not to support an adoption plan?
Free for ACI Families/Alumni
$30 for Non-ACI families
Payment for Non-ACI families can be made by calling ACI during business hours: 773.334.2300