Thinking About Placing a Child for Adoption?
“Our help, your decisions.”
Adoption Center of Illinois is a licensed adoption agency that has been providing adoption services for more than 30 years. We know that considering adoption can be overwhelming. We are here to help you learn more, without pressure or judgement, so you can decide if this is the right option for you. Our counselors are available 24/7 to talk about the process, and can answer any questions you might have.
How does the adoption process work?
We’re here to help you understand your options and walk you through the process in a way that you’re most comfortable. This typically includes:
- Talking with a counselor: Our goal is to help you think through your options and answer your questions. By contacting us, you are not committed to moving forward with an adoption.
- Start creating your adoption plan: You have the right to create your own plan, and to decide how and if you want to proceed. You can choose what adoptive family to place your child with, whether or not to meet them, and how much communication you would like to have with them after the adoption.
- Creating Your Birth Plan: We will help you create a birth plan to prepare for delivery, your hospital stay, and discharge. Your wishes will be clearly communicated to hospital staff.
- Placement or Taking More Time: In the state of Illinois, you are able to sign final paperwork for adoption no earlier than 72 hours after birth. If needed, you can, and should, take more time to make your decision. Once the paperwork is signed, you cannot go back on your decision and the adoption is permanent and legally binding.
Our counselors will travel anywhere in Illinois to meet with you and help you learn more about placing a child for adoption!
My child is already born? Can I still place my child for adoption?
When placing an already born or older child for adoption, we recommend using our agency-provided temporary care. This will give you the time and space you may need to decide if adoption is the right choice for you and your child, and to create a plan.
- Transfer of Custody for Purpose of Temporary Care allows an agency to care for your child for a short period of time while you are thinking about placing a child for adoption. You can change your mind at any time if you decide you do not want to move forward in your adoption plan. We can make sure you are connected with parenting services.
- Our agency has licensed foster families that volunteer to provide temporary care. The family can provide updates, photos and visits during this time. Read about one of our families.
- Temporary care can be for a couple of days or up to several weeks.
- You will use this time to create your adoption plan. You decide on when/if you’re ready to take the next steps in your adoption plan or to parent your child.
When you are considering placing a child for adoption, it is important for you to know your rights.