Adoption Center of Illinois at Family Resource Center (ACI) has received authorization from Croatia’s Adoption Authority to work with the Republic of Croatia in the field of intercountry adoption.
In addition to U.S. citizenship, applicants must meet the following to adopt a child from Croatia:
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old and at least 18 years older than the adoptee
- A child can be adopted by a heterosexual married couple or a single individual
- A child cannot be adopted by persons deprived of parental rights or legal capacity and persons whose previous behavior and personal characteristics indicate that they are not suitable to be entrusted with parental childcare
Estimated total fees (start to finish including travel) will range from $22,000 to $30,000
Croatia has indicated that children eligible for adoption are generally older than seven (7) years of age, sibling groups, children with developmental difficulties and Roma children.
Child profiles provided to ACI included children ranging in age from 5 to 17. The children have been approved for international adoption by Croatia’s central authority, The Ministry for Demography, Family, Youth and Social Policy. Some of these children have special needs including developmental disabilities, intellectual disabilities, and physical disabilities/medical problems. Most of the children appeared to reside in foster homes but some reside in institutional care facilities. If approved to adopt, the Ministry will match families with an available child.
Firsts steps in ACI’s Croatia Adoption Program
- Contact Michelle Setka at 773.321.0306 or msetka@adoptillinois to discuss everything you need to know about adopting from Croatia.
- Apply and begin the home study process. If you live in Illinois, we can complete your home study. If you reside in another state, we will help you locate a Hague-accredited provider in your state.
- Apply to USCIS (I-800 A) and begin assembling your dossier
- Submit your dossier
- Croatia will enter you into the Register of Prospective Adoptive Parents in the Republic of Croatia to be able to provide you with a referral.